Engage Grants provide innovative companies in Canada access to the academic resources available at Canadian universities and colleges.
These grants are intended to motivate companies to form partnerships with the academic community in Canada and support short-term research and development activities aimed at solving a specific problem for the company such as the development of a new product or improvement to an existing process.
Engage Grants provide a maximum grant of $25,000 over a period of six months to support the joint collaboration between the academic institution and the company and offset project costs.
- The project must generate new knowledge or apply existing knowledge in an innovative way to solve a company-specific problem.
- This problem must relate directly to the company’s products and services.
- The company must be able to further develop the results after the project is completed.
- The project must have short-term objectives.
Applications are evaluated mainly against the following criteria:
- Technical merit
- Industrial relevance and potential for innovation impact
- Industrial participation and plan for technology transfer
- Benefit to Canada
The NSERC Engage program reimburses project costs including:
- Office Supplies up to maximum of $250 per project.
- Consulting Fees up to 20% of the funding request.
- Publication and Conference Expenses
Who can apply?
Once the company has found an academic partner to collaborate with on the project, the application can be made by the University or college researcher on behalf of the company.
To be eligible for the grant, the company must:
- Operate independently in Canada and produce goods or services, or perform research and development activities;
- Operating for at least two years or be projected for exceptional growth;
- Have at least two full-time employees;
- Have participating staff with relevant expertise;
- Actively generate revenue from sales or have significant private sector investment; and
- Have a plan and capacity to exploit the research results within Canada.
Applications have an open-intake and will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis, subject to the availability of funding. The company initiates the collaboration process by creating a detailed research proposal to be taken to an academic institution to find a professor with the capabilities to support the project.
Once a match has been made between the school and company, the professor and/or research institution initiates the NSERC Engage grant application. Decisions are typically made within six weeks of submission.
For assistance in preparing your submission and to position your application for approval contact EVAMAX Group to help you with the process. You may also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-877-711-7733