Augmented reality is technology that blends digital information technology, ie: sound, video, graphics and direct sensory experiences in real world surroundings and objects.
It’s like the Pokemon Go App! connected with real world information and presents an interactive world of Pokemons appearing on your sidewalk.
This interactive form of technology is playing an increasingly critical role in healthcare. As medical professionals are constantly working to meet rising demands in healthcare services and keep up with health advancements and outbreaks. Healthcare is utilizing augmented reality hardware to treat various medical conditions, particularly neuropsychological conditions. Applications and protypes are available or in the development stage to improve conditions of autism, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, phobias, addiction, stress and rehabilitation.
The AR market was worth $4B in 2018 but the falling costs of AR hardware as well as its growing value in healthcare will significantly increase its worth in the following years. GlobalData’s ‘Virtual/ Augmented Reality in Healthcare’ forecasts a compound annual growth rate at 13%, resulting in a market value of $76B by 2030.
Here are five ways AR is transforming the face of healthcare to provide solutions to medical challenges:
- Improving access: AR directly improves the concepts of medical consultations over distances . It also guaranteeing the quality of consultations. Even in the field of surgery, AR not only assists medical professional with diagnostics but surgical procedures. Take the app Proxime, it allows complete surgical procedures to be carried out over distance, by a specialist using AR tools to guide with a colleague in real time. This increases access to surgery as medical expertise can reach more patients.
- Boosting Training: Medical professional have more accessibility and opportunity to train more and faster. AR applications such as 3D visualizations, that bring anatomical learning to life and aid nurses in master techniques to check for vital signs. A great benefit of AR as a learning toll is its highly engaging and immersive nature.
- Keeping up with tech: Innovative technologies with promising health benefits are being introduced to the healthcare provision everyday. The challenge lies within adopting a product or service from its development phase and implementing it in daily medical practice. The reasons for this delay involve costs related to purchase, time for awareness, integration to systems as well as training staff. AR can fasten this process by providing remote training and product demonstrations.
- Aiding Practice: AR can help healthcare practitioners with Day to Day tasks for higher accuracy and efficiency. AccuVein, an AR application helps practitioners locate veins for cannulation. Future uses of AR may include electronic medical records being automatically displayed on a device as a doctor examines consults with patients. This can also highlight immediacy that AR can bring to medical attention.
- Empowering Patients: With the use of AR in healthcare, patients can have a proactive role in their own care. The EyeDecide app, for example, is on the one hand another example of a 3D anatomical visualization tool, this time demonstrating the structure of the eyeball. The app offers visual simulations of different eye conditions. Users can match simulations to any distortion they are experiencing in their own vision and the app offers a list of suggested eye specialists in their area If your business is a part of the medical equipment manufacturing industry – investing in AR Research and Development and planning its integration into your products and services is advantageous.
If you’re looking to incorporate AR into your product line and require financial sourcing, there are numerous funding opportunities available.
- Industrial Research Assistance Program (IRAP), supports small and medium-sized enterprises with their technology innovation advances.
- British Columbia: Digital Technology
- Quebec: Scale Artificial Intelligence
Do you want to know all the Innovation Grants and Incentives that your company is eligible for? Contact EVAMAX today for a no-obligation consultation.