If you are a university researcher looking to collaborate with organizations in the private, public or not-for-profit, read on about the opening for a funding initiative:
Alliance grants support collaborative research work and projects with university professors and partner organizations including private, public, not-for-profit sectors. The funding initiatives are provided by the National Sciences + Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) to support research projects led by strong, complementary teams.
Now, their “Option 2” funding option is open and accepting applications requesting over #30,000 and up to $100,000 per year. The number of applications each applicant is limited to one per 12 months.
The research supported by Alliance Grants includes the generation of new knowledge, technology to address complex challenges in economic, social and environmental areas. Solutions derived from these challenges will contribute to Canada’s long-term research goals while drawing on diverse perspectives and skills.
Projects supported by Option 2 Alliance grants include:
- Address a societal challenge that will result in a new natural sciences and engineering knowledge and societal impact
- Bring together academic, partner organization and societal perspectives and skillsets throughout collaboration
- Demonstrate how all interests’ individuals will learn about and use products, services, policies
Apply for and Hold Funds:
- Applicant: Principal Investigator on an application, designated institutional administrator
- Co-applicant: Member of a research group applying for a team grant from a university or college faculty
Eligible to Participate in a Research Team:
- Collaborator: A Research Scientist or Engineer from any sector ex/ government scientist, academic researcher, company staff member. Must be qualified to undertake research independently and will be expected to contribute to the overall intellectual direction of the research project, or program of research, bring his/her resources to collaboration
- Participant: Faculty or professional/technical staff, a participant must be qualified to undertake research independently
Eligibility for Applicant + Co-Applicants:
University + College Faculty: You must hold or have a firm offer of an academic appointment at an eligible Canadian university/college at the time of application.
- Private, public or not-for-profit
- Demonstrate ability to exploit research results, ability to generate and mobilize knowledge
- Utilize project’s research results and achieve its desired outcomes
- Play an active role in mobilizing knowledge to ensure that the research results have an impact
You can apply to support any R&D project that provides a solution to a challenge in the natural sciences or engineering. The NSERC values the following goals in the Alliance Grant Applicants:
- Societal Impact: Your project should result in both new technical knowledge and societal impact. The research may tackle national priorities or global issues also affecting Canada or generate societal benefits. Ex/ improving quality of life, health and safety, public good and resources, prosperity and/or sustainability.
- Making Connections: Your collaborative project must be defined by working with end-users and implementers to ensure it is used- and needs-driven. Collaboration should include merging of ideas, overcoming existing barriers and finding creative solutions.
- Broad Outcomes: Your project must aim for outcomes that do not only benefit the partner organizations. The results will be shared in technical formats, broad channels, and formats. The proposal must explain how those who are interested will both learn about and use the product/services, policies that stem from this research.
Alliance option 2 applications are evaluated in two stages.
- Submitted to a multidisciplinary and multisectoral selection committee that will assess if a higher contribution from the NSERC is justified.
- When selected, the application will proceed to the second step for review of overall merit, similar to option 1
While applying for the Alliance Grants, having an experienced Grants Specialist support you will ease the application process. Having this support also increases success and approval rates.
Our team at EVAMAX is equipped with the resources that can support you today. Feel free to reach out to learn more and see what other grants your business or project is eligible for!